I’ve found ANOTHER reason to LOVE my Instant Pot……Beans! Dried (Red) Beans that is. They cook up quicker and better in the Instant Pot! Believe me, I’ve tried the other ways….Slow-cooker, nope! Even if you soak the beans ahead of cooking and cook for 2 days the beans will still not be cooked (if you have had luck with the Slow-cooker, how DID you do it?). Stovetop….it works….and it takes ALL DAY LONG! Plus, constant watching to make sure your beans have enough (hot) liquid so they don’t boil dry…..
Here’s what I did for beans in the Instant Pot….
- Measured 2 cups of dried beans and rinsed the beans. Put them into the Instant Pot.
- Measured 2 cups of water (or enough to cover the beans). Poured over the beans.
- Put the lid on.
- Set the dial to “sealing” (I think we’ve discussed my forgetting this step sometimes…..)
- Chose the “Manual” setting and set the time for 30 minutes (there was some debate about the done-ness of the beans as Mr. Muddling thought they weren’t done enough and I thought they were just right. If you don’t like your beans “firm”, you might want to set the time to 35 minutes….)
While the beans were cooking, I browned one pound each of ground country sausage and hamburger. When the beans were done, I added the hamburger to the Instant pot. Added two large cans of diced tomatoes, about a Tbsp. of Kosher salt and some Chili Seasoning Mix. Changed the setting to the “Slow-Cooker” setting, adjusted to high and 2 hours and let everything simmer for a couple of hours before we ate it. The easiest Chili I’ve ever made with dried beans! You can be sure I’ll be making this again! BUT. Because it’s almost Winter, here’s some other recipes using beans I’d also like to try….
- Instant Pot Smoked Sausage White Bean & Vegetable Soup
- Instant Pot Red Beans & Rice
- Ham and 15 Bean Soup
- Baked Beans in the Instant Pot
- Instant Pot Minestrone Soup
- Instant Pot Pinto Beans
- Instant Pot Taco Soup
- Instant Pot Cowboy Beans
- Instant Pot Vegetable Tortellini Soup
- Instant Pot Refried Beans
Don’t these look YUMMY?!?!